Olympic Challenge Resources
About the Olympic Challenge
Challenge games are platform-wide prediction contests for events. Read more and go to fan.school to make your selections now! Fanschool members will have the opportunity to make educated predictions about the upcoming Summer Olympics and draft countries they believe will win the most medals. Play and publish with us by signing up at fan.school.
See the day-by-day Guide to the Tokyo Olympics.
Additional THANKS to Vivacity Tech PBC for a Classroom set of Chromebooks for a winning Teacher!
What can the Olympics teach us about world history and ourselves?
Who's the white guy in that photo? (podcast)
(click the image for ideas from All-Star teachers)
i.e. Analysis from the Beijing Olympics (video)
"Sport in the Cold War: Olympics Retrospective" (podcast)
How can we maximize learning during the Olympics?
Research past Olympics and analyze sources.
Post interesting Olympic stories and maps in school hallways with a tally of medals so students can see them all day.
Design an Olympics week to give out medals to recognize students, run fun contests, and build culture.
Learn more about the economics of hosting the Olympics.
Get curious about propaganda during the Olympics, especially from the host country.
Fanschool Olympic Challenge OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE, PAYMENT OR DONATION IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE, PAYMENT OR DONATION WILL NOT INCREASE CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. MANY WILL ENTER, FEW WILL WIN.
1. PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: The Olympic Challenge (the “Contest”) sponsored by Fanschool (the “Sponsor”) begins at the Opening Ceremony and ends after the Closing Ceremony during the schedule Olympic Games (the “Term”). The Contest provides an opportunity for individual eligible students in Grade 5 through Grade 12 to make predictions and submit to a public contest, while interacting with and learning more about the world. Predictions must be completed and submitted by the Opening Ceremony and cannot be edited after the deadline. Winning submissions from students must include a valid email, which can be contacted during or afterward if necessary. Through this activity, the Contest seeks to reinforce the importance of students across the country interacting in the global learning process and learning more about world history and politics through the Olympics. Entries will be judged in accordance with the process and judging criteria outlined in Section 8 below, to award the prizes described in Section 9 below.
2. ELIGIBILITY: The Contest is offered only within the 50 United States and the District of Columbia (collectively, the “Eligibility Area”).
Employees, officers and directors of Sponsor, its subsidiaries, affiliates, and promotion agencies (collectively, the “Contest Parties”, including any entity involved in the development, administration, promotion, or implementation of the Contest), and members of the immediate families (spouses and parents, children and siblings and their spouses) and persons living in the same household of such individuals are not eligible to win prizes. For the avoidance of doubt, children and siblings of employees of any of the Contest Parties are not eligible to participate. Any determinations of eligibility will be made by the Sponsor, whose decisions are final and may be made at any time. Void outside the Eligibility Area and where prohibited.
3. AGREEMENT TO OFFICIAL RULES: By participating in the Contest, each participant fully and unconditionally agrees to the terms of these Official Rules and the decisions of the Contest Parties, which are final and binding. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein. For the purposes of these Official Rules, the term “Participant” may hereafter refer to a Teacher and Student or a Public Participant. Any Participant (and the related entry) may be disqualified in Sponsor’s sole discretion if he/she fails to comply with any of the terms of these Official Rules.
4. TO ENTER: First, Participants should visit the Contest website (the “Website”) during the Term to review the program details and associated resources. Entries must be fully completed and submitted to the public Contest by the posted deadline. Entries must include the name of the participant and a method of contact for student and teacher. Refer to Section 5 below for additional Entry requirements. Finally, the Student and/or Teacher should visit the Website and submit the Entry. Each Entry must be the work of an individual eligible Student. Limit one (1) Entry per Student.
5. CONTEST ENTRY REQUIREMENTS AND RESTRICTIONS: Entries must contain a real name and contact information so that entrant and/or Teacher and/or Parent can be contacted if need be. Entries must include the name of the applicable Student. Each Entry must be the work solely of, and original to, the applicable individual Student or individual Teacher or individual Parent. Entries that are deemed by Sponsor in its sole discretion to be fake, false, obscene, or not in keeping with Sponsor's image will be disqualified. Entries must not violate any law or regulation. Sponsor's determination as to whether any Entry potentially violates the rights of any third party is final.
6. PARTICIPANT'S REPRESENTATIONS: By creating or submitting an Entry, each applicable Participant represents and warrants that: (a) the applicable Participant is the creator of the Entry (b) the Entry does not infringe the intellectual property, privacy or publicity rights or any other legal or moral rights of any third party; (c) the Entry has not previously been entered in any other contest.
7. SPONSOR’S RIGHTS TO ENTRIES: By participating, each Participant grants the Sponsor and its affiliated companies the unconditional and perpetual right and permission to use the Entry or any portion thereof (with or without using a Participant’s name) in any media throughout the world for any purpose, without limitation, and without additional approval from the applicable Participant or any other party.
8. JUDGING CRITERIA AND JUDGING: By the end of the Opening Ceremony, all eligible prediction Entries will be locked (Participants will no longer be able to edit) and then ranked by Sponsor’s designated algorithms according to the requested data during the Olympics the following weeks. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to award fewer than the stated number of prizes if no eligible Entries of sufficient quality are received. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible Entries received, and the relative performance of the applicable entrants. Winners will be notified in accordance with Section 9 below.
9. WINNER NOTIFICATION/VERIFICATION: The Student, Teacher, or Parent associated with each potential winning Entry will be notified on or around the end of the Olympics by phone and/or e-mail, to verify his/her eligibility and obtain a phone number and/or e-mail address for the applicable potential winner (or if potential winner is a Minor, contact information for such winner’s Parent). If such a Teacher is not available or if there is no answer at the time any notification telephone call or email is made, a phone message or email will be left (if possible). Any such phone message or e-mail will instruct the Teacher to call a specified telephone number or reply by e-mail within two (2) full business days after the time that the notification message was left. The Teacher must reply as instructed to identify him/herself, confirm his/her eligibility, and provide the applicable winner contact information within such two (2) full business day period, or the applicable Entry will be disqualified. At that point, the potential winner (or if a Minor, potential winner’s Parent) will be notified by phone and/or e-mail to verify eligibility, and obtain complete contact information. If such a Participant is not available or if there is no answer at the time any notification telephone call is made, a phone message will be left (if possible). Any such phone message or e-mail will instruct the potential winner (or if a Minor, potential winner’s Parent) to call a specified telephone number or reply by e-mail within two (2) full business days after the time that the notification message was left. The applicable Participant must reply as instructed to identify him/herself, confirm his/her eligibility, and provide the applicable complete contact information within such two (2) full business day period, or he/she will be disqualified. Teachers, Parents, and/or potential winners may only be notified one time as set forth above for attempted prize notification. Proof of identity, age, and legal residence may be required to claim a prize. Any potential winner may be disqualified in Sponsor’s sole discretion if: (a) the Participant associated with a potential winning Entry (including, if a Minor, such Participant’s Parent) fails to provide any required information or properly completed documents within the required time period; (b) the Participant associated with a potential winning Entry (including, if a Minor, such Participant’s Parent) fails to comply with any of the terms of these Official Rules; or (c) if any prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, any voice-mail or message left is not timely returned, or any forms sent to Participants are not timely returned as instructed. In the event of disqualification or prize forfeiture, at Sponsor’s sole discretion the applicable prize may be awarded to an alternate winner selected from among the remaining applicable eligible Entries via the means of winner determination described herein, pending verification of eligibility. If any prize remains unclaimed after three (3) potential winners have been notified for that prize, the prize may remain unawarded, in Sponsor’s sole discretion. No responsibility is assumed by Sponsor for any incorrect or missing postal address, e-mail address or phone number associated with an Entry, or any change of address, e-mail or phone number of a participant after Entry submission.
10. TAXES AND ADDITIONAL PRIZE RESTRICTIONS: All taxes (including without limitation federal, state and local taxes) in connection with a prize, and the reporting consequence thereof, are the sole responsibility of the prize recipients. Sponsor makes no representations regarding the tax liability associated with any prize, and winners are advised to seek counsel regarding any tax liabilities associated with their prize. Any prize details and restrictions not specified will be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Prizes may differ from any prizes shown in promotional materials. No prize transfer. Unless otherwise specified herein, no prize substitution except at Sponsor’s sole discretion due to unavailability, in which case a prize of comparable or greater value will be awarded. All other costs and expenses associated with acceptance and use of a prize not specified herein as being awarded are the sole responsibility of the applicable winner. Sponsor will not replace any lost, damaged or stolen prizes. Unless otherwise indicated herein or in any applicable manufacturer’s warranty information, all prizes are awarded as-is and without warranty of any kind, implied or express. The preceding excludes any express warranties on Sponsor's products; such warranties being limited by their stated terms/conditions. Prizes are not transferable or refundable and must be accepted as awarded. No other substitutions may be made, except by the Sponsor, who reserves the right to substitute a prize (or component thereof) with another prize (or component thereof) of equal or greater value if the prize is not available for any reason as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion.
11. GENERAL CONDITIONS: The Contest Parties and any company associated with Fanschool, together with the respective officers, directors, employees, representatives, agents, shareholders, successors and assigns of each (aforementioned individuals and organizations collectively, “Released Parties”) are not responsible for and shall not be liable for (a) electronic, hardware or software program, network, Internet or computer malfunctions, failures, or difficulties of any kind, including without limitation, server malfunction or by any human error which may occur in the processing of Entries; (b) failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmissions; (c) lost, late, misdirected, damaged, incomplete Entries or postage-due mail; (d) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Contest; (e) any disputes between any Participant(s) and/or their Parents; or (f) any condition caused by events beyond the control of the Sponsor that may cause the Contest to be disrupted or corrupted. In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Contest is impaired in any way for any reason, including, but not limited to fraud, virus, or other technical problem, the Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Contest to address the impairment and then resume the Contest in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; (b) award prizes according to the Judging Criteria from among the applicable eligible Entries received up to the time of the impairment; or (c) to proceed in such a manner as may be deemed fair and equitable by Sponsor in its sole discretion. The Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. The Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. By participating in this Contest, Participants agree to waive any right to claim ambiguity or any deficiency in these Official Rules or the Contest, including its administration.
12. RELEASE AND LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: By participating in the Contest, Participants agree to release and hold harmless the Released Parties from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Contest; (b) technical errors related to computers, servers, providers, or telephone or network lines; (c) printing errors or any errors made in the advertisement of the Contest; (d) lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or undeliverable mail; (e) errors in the administration of the Contest or the processing of Entries; or (f) injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from Participant’s participation in the Contest or receipt of any prize. Participants further agree that in any cause of action, the Released Parties’ liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the Contest, and in no event shall the Released Parties be liable for attorney’s fees. Participants waive the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages. The Contest and Website are provided by Sponsor on an ‘AS IS’ basis. Sponsor makes no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, as to the operation of the site or the information, content, materials, or products included on the Website. TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY APPLICABLE LAW, THE RELEASED PARTIES DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
13. INDEMNITY: Each Participant hereby agrees to indemnify and hold the Released Parties harmless from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorneys' fees) and liabilities (including settlements), brought or asserted by any third party against any of the Released Parties due to or arising out of such Participant’s Entry, or such Participant’s conduct in creating an Entry or otherwise in connection with this Contest, including but not limited to: claims for trademark infringement; copyright infringement; violation of an individual’s right of publicity or right of privacy; or defamation.
14. PUBLICITY: By participating, each Participant grants to Sponsor and its affiliated companies the right, except where prohibited by law, to use such Participant’s name, likeness, picture, address (city and state), voice, biographical information, Entry and written or oral statements, for advertising and promotional purposes in promoting or publicizing Sponsor, its affiliated companies, and the products or services of each, in any and all media without limitation as to time or territory, without compensation unless required by law. Participants shall have no right of approval, no claim to compensation, and no claim (including, without limitation, claims based on invasion of privacy, defamation, or right of publicity) arising out of any use, blurring, alteration, or use in composite form of their name, picture, likeness, address (city and state), biographical information, or Entry. Further, as a condition of winning, winners may be required to provide a photograph for purposes of publicity, except where prohibited.
15. DISPUTES/CHOICE OF LAW: Except where prohibited, each Participant agrees that: (a) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, or any prizes awarded, or the determination of winners, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of- pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Contest but in no event attorneys’ fees; (c) under no circumstances will Participant be permitted to obtain awards for and Participant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased; and (d) each Participant's remedies are limited to a claim for money damages (if any) and each Participant irrevocably waives any right to seek injunctive or equitable relief. All Participants hereby consent to the jurisdiction of the courts and waive any defense of inconvenient forum.